Slogan 52. Don’t misinterpret.
The six things that may be misinterpreted are patience, yearning, excitement, compassion, priorities and joy.
- You’re patient when you’re getting your way, but not when its difficult.
- You yearn for worldly things, instead of an open heart and mind.
- You get excited about wealth and entertainment, instead of your potential for enlightenment.
- You have compassion for those you like, but none for those you don’t.
- Worldly gain is your priority rather than cultivating loving-kindness and compassion.
- You feel joy when your enemies suffer, and do not rejoice in others’ good fortune.
Chödrön, Pema (2007). Always Maintain a Joyful Mind. Boston: Shambhala